crafty

I’ve heard of nesting for the house…but nesting for the hospital?

From Mr. M:

“I must’ve missed the memo… I must’ve missed the Facebook update… I must’ve missed the Tweet. Something to let me know that we had won the election, bought tickets, and were now on our way to becoming the governing couple of Crazytown. Before I go further, let me say that Kim is feigning displeasure but keeps smiling and giggling to herself at the notion that the baby has stolen all sanity from her and stored it in her belly.
Let me lay out the scene for you from this Saturday. Kim has just woken me up from my spot on the couch to tell me that she’s getting desperate to get on the road to the Walt Disney Museum in San Francisco. To my left, I have the bunny in his enclosure doing his best meerkat impersonation and saying “Feed Me!” in bunny speak. To my right, I have a dog with a squeak toy, mentally screaming “Play with me, bitches!” And front and center is my pregopotamus… ears wiggling and all (Kim’s really not that big, but since she’s a huge fan of the Disneyland jungle cruise, this name just kinda stuck).
So, I get up, only to be pulled by the wrist into the craft room to judge Kim’s latest craftiness. I see a folded piece of fabric on the table. Kim reaches for it. As it unfolds in front of my eyes, it appears to have two sleaves and a neckline. “What is it?” I ask, fully cognizant that my morning breath is still in effect and I’d better get to the bathroom quickly before I gas the animals beyond repair. “Guess!” she says as she starts to give me the front-back display. “A mumu?”… but then it hits me. This thing has an open back. Oh good lord, no. Say it isn’t so. Kim has made… dun dun DUN!… her own hospital gown. To be fair, it looks to be pretty good, but I have never heard of someone making their own hospital gown before or even talking about it, unless they were wrapped in a very snug jacket with straps to prevent you from scratching yourself. But, she found the pattern on the web, so maybe she’s not the only one. It did however plunge me into about a 15 minute episode of singing my own cover of a popular funk song…”Won’t you take me to… Crazytown?”
In case you’d like to join her in crazytown… you can find the FREE printable pattern that she used at LazyGirlDesigns. Oh — and that fabric — that’d be from Amy Butler’s Midwest Modern line.”

17 Comments

• Reply Amber February 22, 2010 at 1:19 pm

So smart! I lived in their (the hospital) gown for a few days (of course, I had a c-section and was unable to get up for a few days), and it was difficult to nurse when there were no easy access panels!

I’ll pay you to make me one for the next kid! (in a million years)

• Reply Cathleya February 22, 2010 at 1:32 pm

I’m going to have to say that pregopotomus’s mumu is kind of awesome. :) You’ve got yourself a real menagerie over there Mr. M! …. And baby makes 5!

• Reply Mr M February 22, 2010 at 1:45 pm

Yeah, Kim’s trying to encourage me to start my own daddy blog called “My life with the four Bs – Baby, Boston, Bunny, and a Bruin.”

• Reply E @ Oh! Apostrophe February 22, 2010 at 2:01 pm

Kim is so awesome, exhibit #21319?

You’re going to be the cutest mama there :)

• Reply EP February 22, 2010 at 2:47 pm

Well, I suppose if you have to wear a hospital gown, might as well wear one that’s pretty. :)

I had no desire for a gown. I wanted pjs BAD. I was out of mine in less than 24 hours.

• Reply Michelle February 22, 2010 at 4:52 pm

I’d expect nothing less from Kim!!!! You are going to be the most fashionable prego in the place!

• Reply Charmi February 22, 2010 at 6:42 pm

Kim is the craftiest person ever!! Seriously amazing

• Reply talda February 22, 2010 at 9:12 pm

wow, i can’t believe you made you’re own gown! that’s amazing! and kinda crazy. amazingly crazy. lol

• Reply Michelle (Duckling) February 22, 2010 at 9:36 pm

This is the ultimate devotion to crafting!
    pregopotamus? hahaha that is awesome

• Reply Amber February 23, 2010 at 2:52 pm

this makes me wish I could sew … or knew someone that sewed!

• Reply Tiffany February 23, 2010 at 9:47 pm

I love the gown! I may have to take this on as my next project! I would love to feel slighty more stylish at my next hospital stay!

• Reply Lazy Girl | Blog » Potpourri: Quilty Pleasures, a 3-D Quilt, and Zipper Fun March 8, 2010 at 7:30 am

[…] gown and a few smart accompanying items, shown on her blog here. Blogger Kimberly Michelle made a beautiful gown using our […]

• Reply #SocialMedia Break Over & Co-Hosting Bloggers Brags Pinterest Party | Mommas Wonderings January 5, 2015 at 12:36 am

[…] I’VE HEARD OF NESTING FOR THE HOUSE…BUT NESTING FOR THE HOSPITAL? from Kimberly Michelle received 14 clicks! […]

• Reply A New Adventure: Bloggers Brags Pinterest Party - Sandy's P.O.V. January 5, 2015 at 6:00 am

• Reply Bloggers Brags Weekly Pinterest Party - Penguins in Pink January 5, 2015 at 6:01 am

• Reply Bloggers Brags Pinterest Party, Week 60 #pinterest - Creative K Kids January 5, 2015 at 8:47 am

• Reply Patti King March 6, 2016 at 4:50 pm

Do you have the pattern adjustments you made written down anywhere? I’d love to have the “adjusted” version!