I’d like to tell you that they’re the best pancakes you’ll ever eat in your whole entire life. But that would be a lie for those of you out there that don’t eat nor like bacon, don’t eat nor like chocolate and hate the idea or smell or taste of the combination. But if you do like bacon and chocolate together, then I guarantee these pancakes will be heavenly! And… there were 50+ other taste testers in a room with me who moaned in agreement when they took their first bite! They’ve quickly become a Sunday habit for us before football starts at 10am… and I really can’t get enough!
The recipe comes from Sacramento’s chocolate queen, Ginger Elizabeth, and was showcased at a recent workshop entitled, “Chocolate for Breakfast.” Everything about it was fabulous, but this recipe stands out as the super winner!
Ginger Elizabeth’s Chocolate and Bacon Soufflé Pancakes
1 cup Flour
1 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
2/3 cup milk (your choice of whole/lowfat/nonfat)
2/3 cup half & half
3 eggs (separated)
6 T butter (unsalted) – melted
5 pieces of bacon – cooked and crumbed/chopped
1. Whisk together flour, sugar, salt and baking powder. In a separate bowl, whisk together milk, half and half and the egg yolks.
2. Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients and whisk until combined with no lumps.
3. Whisk the egg whites on high speed using a blender, until stiff peaks are formed. Fold the whites into the pancake batter.
4. Fold in the melted butter.
5. Ladle the batter onto a hot griddle to make 4-5″ diameter pancakes. Immediately sprinkle with Valrhona pearls and bacon.
6. As soon as the batter starts to bubble (which will be REALLY QUICK!), flip the pancakes to cook the other side.
7. Serve with REAL maple syrup! (And if you like butter on your pancakes, try one first without it… because these are really buttery on their own!)