crafty, geeky

how to build your own party photobooth at home!

Now that I’ve shown you the awesome photos from the party, let me show you just how you can build your own party photobooth at home! Trust me, it’s really quite simple, and if you’re a super geek you might just have all of the parts lying around your house ready to go!

Here’s what our set-up consists of:

• Canon A400 powershot (bought this one on eBay for $10) with all cords (you just need any compatible Canon Powershot camera)
  • Gorrilapod tripod
  • Old LCD monitor (from college computer)
  • mouse & keyboard (hidden from view)
  • Canon PIXMA mini260 photo printer (got this for $25 at Fry’s a couple years ago)
  • Old CPU – previous computer that’s been wiped clean
  • powerstrip (for all the fun plugs in the back)
  • Breeze Systems PSRemote software ($95)
  • Old sidetable (to house everything)

So here’s the magic behind this lovely system. The software, PSRemote, made by Breeze Systems allows your computer to control your Canon Powershot camera (check here for the list of compatible cameras and Windows OS) remotely and you can easily set-up a photobooth in minutes! Just gather all of the ingredients, click what settings you want on the software, and you’re ready to go! Don’t have a Powershot camera? Don’t fret! They also make software for Canon dSLRs (see the compatible list here)!

STEPS to create your photobooth:

1) Find a monitor, CPU, keyboard and mouse to use for your photobooth. Connect everything and install PSRemote.

2) Design your custom photobooth screens! Take note of the dimensions of your screen, and create a series of JPGs in your graphics editing program for the following screens:

ready.jpg – this is your “waiting for the next person” screen, so customize it with a friendly greeting and the instructions on what to do next!

1.jpg, 2.jpg, 3.jpg, 4.jpg – These are your countdown images that go along with the “active countdown timer.” 1.jpg is displayed during the countdown before taking the first picture, 2.jpg is displayed before taking the second picture etc.

taking.jpg – this is displayed a couple of seconds before taking each picture

release.jpg – optional image displayed when the instruction to take the picture is sent to the camera approximately 1 second before the picture is actually taken. The live view on most cameras will freeze just before the camera takes the picture and this can confuse some users. To avoid this, the software will automatically hide the live view display if a release.jpg image is defined.

processing.jpg – this is displayed after the last picture has been taken while the images are being prepared for printing. This screen could display a message like “All finished! Please collect your prints outside”.
When the prints have been formatted and sent to the printer the ready.jpg image is displayed again.

Upload these images to your photobooth computer.

3) Find a place to position your camera. Connect the camera to the USB port on the computer and make sure it is in playback mode. Turn the camera on!

4) Open up PSRemote and click on “File –> Photobooth Settings.” Go ahead and select all of the options that you’d like for your photobooth.

I definitely suggest changing the Output to “print and save JPG” so that you keep a copy of all the individual images and prints on your computer. For help with additional layout suggestions, click here.

5) TAKE YOUR FIRST PHOTOS! Check and adjust all the settings until you like the flow of everything!

6) If you want a custom logo to be printed on your photos… here’s what you need to do! Select “save as JPG” from the Output options. Then, use that print example file as your template for designing your logo. Design it in your editing program, then erase everything but the logo! Save it as “background.jpg” and make sure PSRemote knows where to find it in the settings box. Now, when your photos print, they’ll have this wonderful logo on them as well!

Now for our party set-up, I went ahead and customized all of the screens with special messages and also designed a logo for the printouts. All of this was done in about 30 minutes using Photoshop and made the experience that much better!

Here’s a small video showing you the photobooth in action:

And the end result?

2011 - February - Lena's 1st Birthday [Photobooth]

For any and all help in making PSRemote work to its best capacity, check out the full online manual.

• Reply tina March 3, 2011 at 8:33 am

I was wondering how you did it. Great idea.

• Reply Colleen C March 3, 2011 at 8:42 am

OMG – this is amazing! I will FOR SURE be trying this for some upcoming party. Wow … awesome.

• Reply Anonymous April 12, 2013 at 12:17 am

Thanks for sharing.I love these instructions and great idea!

• Reply Ali @ His Birdie's Nest March 3, 2011 at 1:30 pm

Great tutorial! I need to get J to do this for my graduation party! Thank you!

• Reply StefanieK March 3, 2011 at 1:46 pm

Such a fun addition to a party! I love it. :)

• Reply Morgan March 3, 2011 at 3:38 pm

I really want to get a Gorrilapod tripod for my new DSLR, and you just gave me yet another excuse to buy one! :)

• Reply Kristin ~ Bien Living Design March 4, 2011 at 10:41 pm

So cool!!

• Reply dayanara garcia April 3, 2011 at 1:19 am

Great idea!!! I was wondering if there is a wireless remote or is the picture taking on a timer?

• Reply kimberly michelle April 6, 2011 at 1:09 pm

It’s all on a timer! Which makes things much easier for the user and the operator!

• Reply Josh@Photo Booth 21 April 5, 2011 at 3:25 pm

That’s a cool idea, I’ll have to experiment with this on my own. I’m sure this would a big hit at any party that people would like to keep memories of.

• Reply San Francisco Photo Booth April 6, 2011 at 6:24 pm

Simple but effective. Wait until your granddaughter gets a little older. She’ll get a kick out of taking pictures, then waiting eagerly at the printer for them to come out. It’s funny because kids always love to be the one that gets to pull the picture out.

• Reply Graduation Party Ideas « MyPartini May 20, 2011 at 8:34 am

[…] Home-made: Basically, to make your own photo booth you need a camera set on a tripod, and PSRemote software on your computer to help print the pictures instantly. More details for how to make your own photo booth at here. […]

• Reply Tom July 14, 2011 at 3:02 pm

This is really a great idea! I run a wedding venue and would love to offer one of these booths but they are too expensive… this gives me another option! Is there a way to use a similar set up for video recording?

• Reply nathalie023 December 8, 2011 at 7:56 am

i am juz curious, is it uz canon cameras and nikon that i can use for photo booths or can i also use olympus and other brands. Thanks

• Reply Kim May 4, 2012 at 4:17 am

I love your instructions. We definitely are trying to put something like this together for my daughter’s sweet 16. But, I am not technically savvy. “Create a series of graphics in your JPG editing program” are words that scare me. If I can figure out HOW to do that, how to I tell PSR remote to display those JPG’s at the right time? Does the software know when to use a file I have named ready.jpg or background.jpg and saved in the photo booth images folder?

Thanks for any info you can give me that points me in the right direction!

• Reply letty June 26, 2012 at 8:41 pm

im curious if you know of another program that does the same thing using any digital camera

• Reply Sarah September 10, 2012 at 7:48 pm

what kind of paper do you use, and where do you get it?

• Reply Kim September 12, 2012 at 4:44 pm

I just use regular 4×6 photo print Kodak paper!

• Reply Leah September 13, 2012 at 11:53 am

Love these instructions! Will this only work with that Canon printer?

• Reply Kim September 13, 2012 at 12:02 pm

Nope! You can use any printer at all… the only thing is limited are your camera options (because THIS software only operates on a few cameras).

• Reply Norma January 20, 2013 at 3:07 pm

Hi,I love your explanation,I can’t wait to build my own photobooth but I have a question: this is home use only or I can take it everywhere,does I need internet connection all the time? I have a party soon in a different location and I swear I want to do that amazing entertaint experience.
    Thanks for your help

• Reply Ashley February 9, 2013 at 2:21 pm

Does it have to be an old monitor and computer or can I use an old laptop? Super excited abou this by the way!

• Reply Kim February 14, 2013 at 3:15 pm

It can totally be an old laptop! :)