our newest shutterbug

If you give a kid a camera…

I was in the kitchen preparing dinner when I heard Miss L shout to me, “Hey Mommy! Can I take you picture?”

There, in her tiny little hands, was my giant dSLR camera and she was grinning and walking towards me. I shrieked & asked her to please put the camera down on the couch. Well, that elicited some giant crocodile tears and a wail of, “I just want to take your picture mommy!” echoing throughout the house.

“Wait here one second L,” I said and quickly ran upstairs to the camera cabinet for a look. There, at the tippy top of the cabinet, was a box with my very first digital camera in it: my precious Pentax Optio S. (I used to keep it in an Altoids tin!)

20120712-IMG_9414

It’s small, it’s got small buttons, a rechargeable battery, uses SD cards and it has a viewfinder and a screen to look at. And it’s old and kind of beat up but everything still works like a charm! In other words, it’s the perfect REAL toy for Miss to play with.

20120712-IMG_9406

Since she got it in her hands, she’s been going around the house taking photos of our knees, her fingers, and lots of blurry objects. But her favorite photographic subject is definitely Memphis.

20120712-IMG_9426

No matter where Memphis is in the house, Miss L will find her and start snapping photos. She always asks first though, “Memphis? You wanna take a picture? You…. you wanna have your picture taken?”

“Say CHEEEEEESE”

20120712-IMG_9425

“Oh yes. That was a good one!”

Here’s a small sample of the photos Miss L has taken in the past few weeks (on  her camera):

[slickr-flickr tag="lphoto"]/
We most definitely have a shutterbug on our hands.

9 comments on our newest shutterbug

1. KIm@newlywoodwards
    July 31, 2012 at 9:15 am (2 years ago)

How cool is this? And fun to have so many pictures from her perspective. Aren’t digital cameras the greatest?

2. Kate
    July 31, 2012 at 9:31 am (2 years ago)

That child needs a stepstool! I mean y’all have lovely knees and all…..
    So cute!

3. Rachel
    July 31, 2012 at 9:51 am (2 years ago)

that is too cute!

4. Audrey
    July 31, 2012 at 10:42 am (2 years ago)

She’s an artist! You definitely need to save these so you can show her later.

5. Clare
    July 31, 2012 at 11:52 am (2 years ago)

This is adorable. I loved seeing all the shots she’s taken. Can’t believe how many knees children must see daily!

6. tamara
    July 31, 2012 at 6:01 pm (2 years ago)

ahhhh too cute!!! i love the questions she asks memphis (“do you wanna take a picture? i mean, wanna have your picture taken?”) what a sweetheart! definitely following in your footsteps!

7. Heidi
    August 1, 2012 at 7:30 am (2 years ago)

Adorable! I’d back up all of her pictures on her own drive that way when she’s older it’ll be easy to show her earlier work.

1Pingbacks & Trackbacks on our newest shutterbug

1. [...] she might really enjoy. I rounded up these fun wooden options. Then, I read about my friend Kim giving her daughter [who is just a few months older than Em] her old camera. A real camera that [...]