Remember how I crazily signed up to run a 1/2 Marathon a few months ago? Well, that event is coming up shortly… and to be precise… it’s 12 weeks away. So that means that my meandering training needs to transition into REAL training. And I can’t sleep in anymore even though the temptation of warm sheets far exceeds the enticement of frozen sweat on a morning run.
People… I have to do this. Now. Or forever hold my place as the girl who really can’t run even after imposing a challenge on herself to do so… In the immortal words of Hugh Jackman in his one-man Broadway show, I need to, “Give it a go” and see what happens.
So here are the components of said “plan” that I’ve begun this week:
1) I downloaded Hal Higdon’s 1/2 Marathon app for my iPhone.
2) I posted a copy of that same 12-week schedule on my wall at work and told Mr. M about the details of my weekly plan, so that he’s on board with what’s going on (and not wondering where in the heck I am at 6:00am on a Tuesday morning).
3) I mapped out 3/3.5/4/4.5/5/6 mile runs in my neighborhood.
4) I brought in shoes/clothes/washcloth & soap to run at lunchtime on Wednesdays at work… so that I can save myself from an early morning rise that day.
5) I’m monitoring my water intake during the day a bit more closely with a daily checklist on my whiteboard at work. And I’m keeping more fruit in the house to consume after runs (hello orange slices!) and make sure that I have enough fuel to keep up with this schedule.
So, I completed my 3 mid-week runs and now just have my big 4 mile run on Sunday. (Oh… and in case anyone is completely impressed by my abilities… when I say “run” I mean walk/run pacing…)
Any other fun tips you super awesome runners would like to throw in there? Maybe one about how you manage to run outside when it’s below freezing??? (Seriously rethinking the idea of an end-of-January race as “ideal”)