warmth from a bowl of soup
I’m normally not a soup fan, except in the fall… that silly butternut squash soup lures me every single time (seriously… it’s my favorite lunch on the town along with a hunk of freshly baked bread). I guess it’s the savory flavors and that orange color?
Well this isn’t butternut squash, but the color of those sweet potatoes lured me in right away! So when I happened upon this recipe for “Sweet Potato & Sausage Soup” … I pretty much started salivating right away. I promise you’ll be happy the second the broth goes in and you smell the wonderful aromas in the kitchen, and smiling as you gulp up this stuff.
Just don’t use too much pasta or else you’ll end up with more stuff than broth (Kim’s soup error #1 on her first trial and Miss L’s generous pasta measurements).
- 1 T olive oil
- 1/2 large yellow onion, diced large
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- salt and pepper
- 1 lb sweet Italian sausage (no casings!)
- 2 sweet potatoes (1 lb.), peeled and diced medium
- 4 cups (32 oz) of chicken broth
- 2 cups of water
- 3/4 cup pasta shells (small or large – your choice!)
- 3 cups of roughly chopped mixed greens (i.e. kale or swiss chard)
- Parmesan (if wanted)
- Use a LARGE pot for all of your cooking from start to finish. Heat the oil on medium-high, and add the garlic and onions and cook until translucent (6 minutes). Season with salt & pepper.
- Add sausage (break it up often with a wooden spoon!) and cook until browned (5 min).
- Add broth & water & sweet potatoes and bring to a boil (3-5 min). Add the pasta and cook for 3 minutes less than the directions on the box. When the timer goes off, add the greens and reduce to a simmer and cook for 3-4 more minutes.
- Ladle into your bowls and sprinkle on Parmesan if desired.
Looks yummy! Do you add the sweet potato after the broth?
Yes yes you do (edited to add… shouldn’t eat lunch while trying recipes!)
Mm that looks great! I wish it would hurry up and get cold here so I don’t feel ridiculous eating soup!
I made the soup, too – it was delicious :) Definitely will try it again later on this season!