It was ladies night on Friday night. Mr. M was down in Southern California frolicking at his college reunion weekend, and Miss L and I were busy planning sleepovers and snacks for our weekend at home.
“Alright. You can choose whatever you want to make for dinner. What’ll it be L?”
“Can we make grilled cheese sandwiches? Special grilled cheese? With apples and honey?”
These “special” grilled cheese sandwiches are usually found being freshly prepared in a local food truck here in town (Drewski’s), and we’d never dared to make them at home. But knowing that we were up for an adventurous night anyway, I thought that we’d try to recreate the recipe and see what happens! And thus we rushed off after preschool to the market for those special ingredients!
Miss L’s “Special” Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- 2 slices of wheat bread (preferably whole grain)
- 2 tablespoon butter, softened
- 4 slices of Granny Smith apple
- Brie cheese, divided into 5-6 small 1 oz pieces
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/16 lb. almond slivers
- Butter one side of each piece of bread with a decent amount of softened butter.
- Place one piece of bread butter side down. Then place a small layer of brie on top (2-3 small pieces).
- Continue by layering the apples on top, followed by a drizzle of the honey. Sprinkle the almonds on top of the honey.
- Place the final pieces of brie on top, and then cover with the non-buttered side of the final piece of bread.
- Cook in a saute pan on medium heat for 2 minutes on each side, or until the cheese is melted and bread is crispy.