the bestest chocolate chip cookies on chocolate chip cookie day
You may not know what important holiday is this week, but I’d like to bring to your attention the crucial observance of National Chocolate Chip Cookie Day on May 15th. It’s a day you can enjoy America’s cookie with reckless abandon (in cooked or uncooked form if you’d like) and truly celebrate everyone’s favorite homemade cookie.
I was lucky enough to receive a bottle of Nielsen-Massey Madagascar Bourbon Pure Vanilla Extract to try earlier this month along with their favorite Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe and tips. And when I saw that one of the secrets was to “sprinkle coarse salt on the top of the cookies” I just about died in anticipation of what that would do to the cookies.
Well… let me tell you… it just makes them disappear that much faster!
Here’s the recipe for you to enjoy this Thursday, or any day that you want cookies! (p.s. I froze a cookie sheet full of cookies just for baking this week!)
- 1 ½ c. butter, softened
- 1 ¼ c. white sugar
- 1 ¼ c. brown sugar
- 1 T Nielsen-Massey Madagascar Bourbon Pure Vanilla Extract
- 2 eggs
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 ¾ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. cream of tartar
- 2 cups. chocolate chips (mix of semisweet, mini, dark chocolate, white chocolate – anything you want!)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix butter, sugars, vanilla and eggs in large bowl.
- Stir in flour, soda, salt, baking powder and cream of tartar.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Drop with a #40 scoop (looks like a metal mini ice cream scoop) or a rounded measuring tablespoonful about 2 inches apart onto an ungreased insulated baking sheet.
- Sprinkle the tops of your cookies with coarse sea salt just before baking to bring out the flavors of the brown sugar and chocolate in this recipe. Try using a smoked sea salt for an extra-special touch.
- Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until light brown.
- Cool slightly: remove from baking sheet. Cool on wire rack.
Now if you’d like to recreate these cookies at home, then just leave a comment with your favorite style of chocolate chip cookie below. I’ll pick a winner from all comments on 5/22/14 and one lucky reader will receive their own 4 oz bottle of Nielsen-Massey Madagascar Bourbon Pure Vanilla Extract!
I love chewy chocolate chip cookies
Chewy and almost puffy! BUT I can appreciate a good crispy one, too. Dang, I love them all!
My heart beats for chewy cookies with a slight crisp around the edges, practically just slightly under baked. I’ve been telling myself to make a batch of cookie dough for the freezer so I’m taking this post as a sign to get it done!
Oooh those look delish! I love a good chewy chocolate chip cookie!
Chewy! I always undercook them just a bit.
Chocolate chip cookies are the best kind! Especially hot and melty from the oven.
To be honest, your cookies look my Platonic ideal of CCCs! I like them flat, but not crispy. It’s a difficult balance to achieve.
Also, cream of tartar? Interesting addition! What effect does this have on the dough?
I like Oatmeal Chocolate Chip cookies.
Chewy for me, please!
Chewy with dark chocolate chunks for the WIN!!!