Lazy grilled fish tacos
Sunday afternoon. “Miss L… what do you want for dinner?”
Alrighty then… I think we can do that! I looked in the fridge and spotted some taco sauce and cilantro. Then I headed to the store and bought the following: finely shredded cole slaw, prepared pico de gallo, 1 lime, Mexican sour cream, an avocado, corn tortillas and 1 lb of fresh cod.
I threw a quick seasoning together of cumin, ancho chili pepper, garlic salt, pepper and olive oil, slapped it on the fish and let it marinate for about 20 minutes. Then I went and turned on the grill and did the rest of the basic prep. I made a quick “fish taco creama” out of the Mexican sour cream and lime, and basically just “opened” the rest of the prepared ingredients. Once the fish was done, Miss L and I quickly assembled the tacos and devoured them! She did say that the recipe needed more salt, but that’s pretty much because she wants a salt lick attached to her wrist.
It might be too cold in your neck of the woods to enjoy either the grill or fish tacos, but trust me that it’s the perfect dinner after a hot and sweaty afternoon!
- corn tortillas
- 1 lb white fish (cod, mahi mahi, etc.)
- 1 avocado
- finely shredded cabbage (or cole slaw)
- pico de gallo
- 1/2 cup Mexican sour cream
- 1 lime
- taco sauce (mild or hot, it’s your choice!)
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp ancho chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- 2 T olive oil
- Mix the cumin, ancho chili powder, garlic salt and pepper together. Add the olive oil to create a paste and rub it on both sides of the fish. Cover and allow it to marinate in the refrigerator for at least 20 minutes. Preheat the grill.
- Wrap the tortillas in foil and throw them on the grill at the same time with the fish. Grill the fish on medium-high for 3-4 minutes on each side. When full cooked, separate all of the fish from any bones and cover to keep warm.
- Crema: Combine the zest of one lime with the Mexican sour cream. Squeeze in juice from one half of the lime. Mix well and let it cool in the refrigerator.
- Tacos: For each taco, add the following to your liking: taco sauce, cabbage, pico de gallo, one slice of avocado, fish, cilantro, and crema. Savor and enjoy!
You make it sound so quick and easy.